Students inUCalgary Admin atrium, promoting university of Calgary Bachelor of Social Work programs

University transfer students & degree holders

Our Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program equips you with the knowledge and skills necessary for professional social work practice. You will gain in-depth theoretical knowledge, extensive practical experience, and reflective understanding of various social issues. As a graduate of this program, you will be qualified to practice social work across Canada and around the world.

"I've taken at least two years of undergraduate education."

This entry route is for students who have completed a minimum of 57 units (two full years) of university transferable, non-social work courses and Social Work 201 (or equivalent). 

All courses required for admission, including SOWK 201, must be completed by the end of the winter term before the fall term you're applying for.

You'll also need to meet the following requirements:

  • Admissibility to the University of Calgary
  • English Language Arts 30-1 (high school) or an acceptable equivalent
  • Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.3 on a 4.0 scale
  • Proficiency in English language

UCalgary English Proficiency

Are my courses transferable to UCalgary?

You can check the transferability of courses taken at Alberta post-secondary institutions using the Alberta Transfer Guide.

See if your courses are transferable

Advanced Credit

You may be able to receive credit for a maximum of six units of social work courses completed at another institution. You must submit your request when you apply by contacting our student advisors.

Social Work 201

SOWK 201 is an overview and introduction to the social work profession. It's required when applying to your BSW. 

This course has no pre-requisites or co-requisites.

More about SOWK 201

"I already have a degree."

If you already have a university degree you have a couple of options. 

University Transfer student

You would apply for the Bachelor of Social Work program, through the University Transfer Route, (details outlined above.)


Another option you might be interested in is the Master of Social Work. If you have a non-social work degree, you apply to the MSW program as "foundation" student. This means you do an additional year of foundational social work study, before pursuing your Master's specialization.


What should I take my first two years?

To apply to the Faculty of Social Work as a University Transfer student, you'll need to complete 57 units of non-social work university transferable courses. These courses provide you with depth in your education and prepare you for the focused education you'll receive to become a professional social worker. These courses also allow you to get a feel for other disciplines, which may help you to better know if social work is right for you. Students often ask us what they should take to prepare for social work, and these suggestions are only provided for guidance as you plan your first and second year. No admission preference is given to applicants who complete courses in these areas.


Here are some general course areas that can help prepare you to be successful in social work:

  • English/Effective Writing
  • Sociology
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Indigenous Awareness in the Canadian Context
  • Human Development Across the Lifespan
  • Social Welfare and Social Policy
  • History
  • Research Methods
  • Statistics
  • Ethics
  • Communications
  • Public Administration or Public Policy
  • Women's Studies
  • Anthropology
  • Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies

Hear it straight from a BSW grad! Watch now.

Now choose our program:

Online or in-class? 

Virtual (online)

Learn more


Learn more


Learn more


Learn more