Assistant Professor, MSW Clinical Coordinator
- W2021 - SOWK 622.1 - Advanced Topics in Practice and Research in International and Community Development I (International SW in Canada)
Research and Teaching Activities
- Trauma and Violence
- Practice Approaches
- Human Service Organizations and Systems
- Research Methods
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Research Focus areas:
Domain 1: Social movements and social transformation. Includes a community focus on social justice organizing, and violence prevention with an intersectional lens to men’s prevention roles; anti-racism anticolonialism and gender and sexuality rights;
Domain 2: Critical pedagogy and transformative learning. Focused on the academy and the scholarship of teaching and learning, and centered experiential and mentoring practices;
Domain 3: Methodological contributions. Community-based, feminist and participatory action research. Committed to intersectional, anti-racist and decolonizing feminisms.
- Stories of Personal Transformation: Men Working for Violence Prevention and Gender Equity (Lead Investigator – with Jamal, A. Walsh, C., Amin, H., Ibrar, M., Hossein, G., Mancey Sehgal, K.). SSHRC Insight Development Grant.
- Healing through Fatherhood: Voices of Indigenous and Immigrant Men (Lead Investigator – with Jamal, A., Mancey Sehgal, K., Gomez, T., Beebe, P., Boustani, A.). O’Brien Institute Catalyst Grant – Vulnerable Populations.
- Men as Agents of Change (Lead Investigator – with Jamal, I. & Sehgal, K. (organizational lead). Alberta Status of Women.
- “Good Dads”: Father's Perspectives on Fatherhood and Masculinity in Alberta (Lead Investigator - with Jamal, A. & Dunghel, R.) University Research Grants Committee, University of Calgary.
- Good Men’s Circle. (Lead Investigator- with Jamal., A & Sehgal, K. (organizational lead)
- Social Work Graduate Field Education: Exploring the Potential for Transformative Learning (Co-Investigator - with with Lee, E. (PI), Ferrer, I., MacDonald, S.A., & Parent, A.A.) SSHRC Insight Development Grant.
- Promoting Graduate Student Mental Health Through Peer Mentorship (Co-Investigator -with Lorenzetti, D. (PI), Nowell, L. Oddone-Paolucci, E.Lorenzetti, L. Jacobsen, M. T. Clancy, T.Christie, T.). Campus Mental Health Strategy (CMHS), University of Calgary.
- Transforming the Field Education Landscape: Intersections of Research and Practice in Canadian Social Work Field Education (Collaborator- with Drolet, J.(PI) et al.). Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Partnership Grant.
Professional and Community Associations
- Alberta College of Social Workers – Registered Social Worker (1996-
- Alberta Assembly of Social Workers - Organizer (2019-
- Alberta Men’s Network for Violence Prevention - Stewardship Committee (2015 –
- Brentwood Cares Neighbourhood Organizer – (2020-
- Action Research Network of the Americas – (2019
- Canadian Association for Children’s Education in Pakistan – Board Member (2019 -
- Canadian Association of Social Work Education - Educator (2015-
- Canadian Association of Social Work Education Women’s Caucus - Co-chair (2016-2020)
- Migrante Alberta - Member (2018-
- Peace in Harmony Family Peace Choir (2018 -
- Social Workers for Social Justice Calgary – Organizer (2010 -
I am from Italian heritage, born on Mohawk Kanien’kehá:ka territory (Montréal). I have been living in Mokhinistsis (Calgary) for many years, traditional territory of the Blackfoot Confederacy which includes the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations as Treaty 7 Nations with the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations) as well as Métis Region 3. I strive to be an activist scholar with my teaching, research and service informed by 30 years of community and counselling practice focused on violence prevention, anti-racism, refugee rights, peace building and other social justice commitments.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Lorenzetti, L. & Dunghel, R. Community-led transformative research tools and applications: From Canada to Nepal. Canadian Journal of Action Research, August 2020. (in press)
- Walsh, C. Borlé, E., Lorenzetti, L., Birks, L., Cerecero, L., Isnardo de la Cruz Lugardo, P. International field education through a postcolonial lens: A case example of developing a group study program in Mexico. International Social Work (in press)
- Pethrick, H. Nowell, L., Oddone-Paolucci, E., Lorenzetti, L., Jacobsen, M., Clancy T., Lorenzetti. D.L. The impact of peer mentoring in medical residency education: A systematic review. Canadian Medical Education Journal (in press).
- Ferrer, I., Shaw, J. & Lorenzetti, L. Ethical storytelling and digital narratives: Lessons learned in student-led podcasts and community radio partnerships. Journal of Social Work Values and Ethics (accepted)
- MacDonald S.A., Srikanthan, S., Lee Woo Jin E., Ferrer, I., Lorenzetti, L., & Parent A.A. Field education as transgression? Intersectionalities: A Global Journal of Social Work Analysis, Research, Polity. (pp. 1-28) (Accepted).
- Lorenzetti, L. & Walsh, C. (2020). Feminist participatory action research with men to prevent intimate partner violence: Employing an intersectional stance. Action Research Journal, pp. 1-22 . doi: 10.1177/1476750320932966
- Lorenzetti, D.L., Pethrick, H., Nowell, L., Lorenzetti, L., Jacobsen, M., & Oddone-Paolucci, E. (2020). Mentorship in medical residency education: Anatomy of a systematic review. Sage Research Methods Cases. 1-22. doi.org/10.4135/9781529714180
- Ferrer, I., Lorenzetti, L. & Shaw. J. (2019). Podcasting for social justice: Exploring the potential of experiential and transformative teaching and learning through social work podcasts. Social Work Education. doi: 10.1080/02615479.2019.1680619
- Lorenzetti, D.L., Shipton, L., Nowell, L., Jacobsen, M,. Lorenzetti, L., Clancy, T., Oddone-Paolucci, E. A. (2019). Systematic review of graduate student peer mentorship in academia. Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnerships in Education, 27(5), 549-576. doI: 10.1080/13611267.2019.1686694
- Lorenzetti, L., Halvorsen, J., Dhungel, R., Lorenzetti, D., Oshchepkova, T. Haile, L., & Biscette, K. (2019). Community-based mentors and journey guides: A transformative learning approach to social work education. Social Work Education 38(4), 1-11, . doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2019.1593956
- Walsh, C., Calbrunsen, C., & Lorenzetti, L. (2019). Research Practicum: An Experiential Model of Social Work. Sage Open, 1-11. doi.org/10.1177/2158244019841922
- Pethrick, H., Nowell, L., Oddone Paolucci, E., Lorenzetti, L., Jacobsen, M., Clancy, T., & Lorenzetti D.L. (2017). Psychosocial and career outcomes of peer mentorship in medical resident education: A systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews, 6, 178.
- Lorenzetti, L., Wells, L., Logie, C., & Callaghan, T. (2017). Understanding and preventing domestic violence in the lives of gender and sexually diverse persons. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality, 26(3), 175–185. doi:10.3138/cjhs.2016-0007.
- Goulet, S., Lorenzetti, L., Walsh, C. A., & Wells, L. (2016). Understanding the environment: Domestic violence and prevention in urban Aboriginal communities. First Peoples Child and Family Review, 11(1), 9-23.
- Walsh, C. A., Lorenzetti, L., St. Denis, N., Murwisi, P., & Lewis, T. R. (2016). Community Voices: Insights on social and human services from people with lived experiences of homelessness. Review of Social Sciences, 1(02), 27-41. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18533/rss.v1i2.7
- Lorenzetti, L., Azulai, A., & Walsh, C. A. (2016). Addressing power in conversation and methodology: Enhancing the transformative capacities of the world café. Journal of Transformative Education, 14(3), 200-219. doi: 10.1177/1541344616634889
Books & Book Chapters
- Este, D., Lorenzetti, L., & Sato, C., (Eds) (2018). Racism and anti-racism in Canada. Winnipeg, MA: Fernwood Publishing.
- Halvorsen, J., King, R., Lorenzetti, L., Wolfleg, A., & Haile, L. White entitlement in antiracism and anticolonialism. In A. Gebhard, S. Mclean, V. St. Denis (Eds.), Whiteness at work: Disturbing practices of racism across the Canadian prairies. Winnipeg, MB: Fernwood Publishing. (forthcoming)
- Lorenzetti L. & Jacob, A. (2018). Anti-Racism: White privilege and changing oppressive social structures. In Este, D., Lorenzetti, L., & Sato, C., (Eds). Racism and anti-racism in Canada (pp. 39-69). Winnipeg, MA: Fernwood Publishing.
- Este, D., & Sato, C., & Lorenzetti, L. (2018). The colour blind society. In Este, D., Lorenzetti, L., & Sato, C., (Eds). Racism and anti-racism in Canada (pp. 1-34). Winnipeg, MA: Fernwood Publishing.
- Lorenzetti, L. & Farkas, J. (2015). How did you get here? Engagement in social justice journeys through Pechakucha. In Pelech, W., King, K. & LaRoche, S. (Eds). Unity in diversity: Embracing the spirits of group work (221-23). London, ENG: Whiting & Birch
- Lorenzetti, L., Dhungel, R., Lorenzetti, D, Oshchepkova, T., & Haile, L. (2017). A transformative approach to social work education. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Higher Education Advances. Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, 801-809. http://dx.doi.org/10.4995/HEAd17.2017.5422
- Walsh, C. & Lorenzetti, L. (2016). Mentorship framework to strengthen social work research. Proceedings, University of New Mexico Mentoring Institute, 79-87.
Walsh, C. A., Lorenzetti, L., & Gulbrandsen, C. (2015). Feminist activism. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
Lorenzetti, L. (2020). A network of care. Action Research Network of the Americas Solidarity Project Gallery. https://knowledgedemocracy.org/projects-and-events/arna-social-solidarity-project/social-solidarity-project-gallery/
Research, Professional Reports and Narrative Submissions
- Wolfleg, A., Mancey, A., Lorenzetti, L. & Zakharova, G. (2020, August). AMN Healing Circles. Alberta Men Network/University of Calgary, Faculty of Social Work.
- Wang, Q., Lorenzetti, L., Mancey, A., Tabak, W. (2020). AMN Foundational Training: A Community Report. Alberta Men’s Network/ University of Calgary, Faculty of Social Work.
- Lorenzetti, L. (2020). The power of stories: Kwentot’ Litrato. In N. Saturay (Ed), Kwentot’ Litratrato Stories of Filipino Migration in Alberta. Calgary, AB: Migrante Alberta. (forthcoming)
- Linton, H., Chouinard, P.L., Lorenzetti, L., Mancey, R., Dhungel, R., & Lee, E.O. (2019). Guides de périple – Mentors en justice sociale: Modèle transformationnel dans la formation en travail social. Université de Calgary/Université de Montréal.
- Lorenzetti, L. & Adams, K. (2019). Women’s caucus report: 2018-2019. Canadian Association of Social Work Education. Retrieve from https://caswe-acfts.ca/caucuses/womens-caucus/
- Lorenzetti, L., Mancey, A., & Dhungel, R. (2018). A transformative model for social work: Journey guides as social justice mentors. Calgary, AB: Faculty of Social Work, University of Calgary.
- Lorenzetti, L., Wright, A., Haile, L., Murphy, D., Shankar, J., Hoyt, M. & Sehgal, K. (2018). Experiencing masculinities symposia: Sharing perspectives on liberatory and healthy masculinities and violence prevention. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network/University of Calgary, Faculty of Social Work.
- Nath, M., Sadhwani, H., & Lorenzetti, L. (2018). Well-being and Healthy relationships: Insights and experiences of South Asian men in Alberta. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network.
- Lorenzetti, L., Mancey, A., Wolfleg, A., Lantion, V., & Valley, R (2018). Consensus decision-making: A guide to men’s organizing work. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network.
- Lorenzetti, L., Valley, R., Lantion, V., Haile, L., & Wolfleg, A. (2018). Men as agents of change: Adopting an antiracist and anticolonial lens in gender justice. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network/University of Calgary, Faculty of Social Work.
- Boustani, A., Haile, L., Hoyt, M., Jones, L., Lorenzetti, L., Murphy, D., Pederson, T., Valley, R., Wolfleg, A. (2018). Conversations about masculinities. Alberta Men’s Network.
- Pederson, T., Jones, L., Lorenzetti, L., Haile, L. (2018). Strategies for planning and running men’s groups: Part I. Alberta Men’s Network.
- Pederson, T., Jones, L., Lorenzetti, L., Haile, L. (2018). Strategies for planning and running men’s Groups: Part II. Alberta Men’s Network.
- Oliphant, F., Sadhwani, H., Lorenzetti, L., & Villegas, G. (2017). Well-being and healthy relationships: Insights and experiences of Latino men in Alberta. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network.
- Lorenzetti, L., Lantion, V., Murwisi, P., Hoyt, M., Oliphant, F., Sadhwani, H., Oshchepkova, T., & Este, D. (2016). The Alberta Men’s Survey: A conversation with men about healthy relationships. Calgary, AB: Alberta Men’s Network.
- Lorenzetti, L., Ashna, A., Singh, L., Altwasser, D., Cala, C., & Balog, W. (2015). Preventing domestic violence in North of McKnight Communities: A place -based approach. Calgary, AB: United Way of Calgary and Area.
- Sebastian, B., & Lorenzetti, L. (2015). Healthy family relations: A community response. Calgary, AB: United Way of Calgary and Area.
- Safadi,. I. (2019, August). Young activists lead successful fundraiser to help children in Pakistan. https://fsw.ucalgary.ca/news/young-activists-lead-successful-fundraiser-help-children-pakistan
- Lorenzetti, L. (2019, June). People’s power and collective resistance. Explore UCalgary. Retrieve from https://explore.ucalgary.ca/power-collective-resistance
- MacKinnon, M. (2019, May). What’s the power of one voice? Democracy in Canada and questioning the illusion of the inevitable. Explore UCalgary. Retrieve from https://explore.ucalgary.ca/individual-power-and-democracy-in-canada
- Dialogue City #014. (2018, December 8). A conversation (mostly) on social constructs and systemic oppression. Retrieve from https://medium.com/dialogue-city/dialogue-city-episode-014-nyabuoy-gatbel-liza-lorenzetti-agnes-odera-f26a454196fe
- Utoday. (2018, November 6). Olympics are more than the price tag, University of Calgary experts say. Retrieve from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-11-06/olympics-are-more-price-tag-university-calgary-experts-say
- McSweeney, D. (2018, November 2). Social work hosts on-campus panel calling for justice for Indigenous women. UToday. Retrieve from https://ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-11-02/social-work-hosts-campus-panel-calling-justice-indigenous-women
- The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning. (2018, Fall). A Critical pedagogy approach to social work education: Supporting transformative learning. Retrieve from https://vimeo.com/294237916
- The Advocate. (2018, Summer). Awards Reflect the Legacy and Future of U of C Social Work. Alberta College of Social Workers. Retrieve from https://www.acsw.ab.ca/document/2213/Advocate%20Summer%202018%20D03738%20Bird%20ACSW%20Advocate%20Summer%2018_LR%20Pages_July%209.pdf
- UToday. (2018, January 18). University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Grants open to proposals. University of Calgary. Retrieve from https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2018-01-18/2018-19-university-calgary-teaching-and-learning-grants-open-proposals
- APTN. (2017, December 1). Episode 13, Season II of Taken: Jacquline Crazybull. Retrieve from http://aptn.ca/taken/episode-guide/season-2/ https://www.facebook.com/takentheseries/posts/coming-friday-december-1st-on-aptn-episode-13-the-finale-of-season-ii-of-takendi/1089827267821319/
- W21C Research Project Spotlight. (2017, April 13). An Exploration of Peer Mentorship in Graduate Education. University of Calgary. Retrieve from http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?e=56e6fd32ec&u=e8f1b129323bbcaff8881161c&id=2592bb597f
- 660 CHED with Ryan Jespersen (2016, September 9). Alberta Men’s Survey. Retrieve from https://soundcloud.com/630ched/sept-9-hr-2-simone-klann-really-cool-jobs-lisa-lorenzetti-adrian-wolfleg-ab-mens-survey
- CTV Primetime with Shawna Randolph. (2016, August 24). Alberta Men’s Survey. Retrieve from http://alberta.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=695329
- Metro News. (2015, November). Alberta Men’s Network. Retrieve from http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2015/10/14/university-of-calgary-survey-sheds-light-on-mens-health.html
- The Calgary Journal (2014, November). Diversity in Parenting Making a Positive Impact. Retrieve from http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index.php/profiles/2272-diversity-in-parenting-creating-positive-impact
2020 Nomination: Best pedagogical article, Journal of Social Work Education
2018 Nomination: Teaching Award for Experiential Learning Initiatives
2017 Nomination: Teaching Award for Experiential Learning Initiatives
2014 Canadian Federation of University Women École Polytechnique Award
2013 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSRHC) Doctoral Scholarship
2013 Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Doctoral Scholarship
2013 Clarice Chodak Recognition of Excellence in Social Action
2013 Best Paper Award: Chinese University of Hong Kong 50th Anniversary Social Work Post-Graduate Symposium
2012 University of Calgary Eyes High Leadership Doctoral Scholarship
2012 SSHRC Global Open Doctoral Scholarship
2012 Nomination: Vanier Scholarship
2011 James Gripton Doctoral Scholarship in Social Work
2011 Lorne and Pat Gordon/YWCA Graduate Award
2011 Doreen F. Wilson Legacy Graduate Award
2010 Faculty of Social Work Entrance Scholarship
2010 Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship
2007 Nomination: The University of Calgary Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award
2018 John Graham Hutton Memorial Award: Excellence in Social Work Practice - Alberta College of Social Workers
2018 Distinguished Service Award (team award given to Calgary Social Workers for Social Justice) - Canadian Association of Social Workers
2018 Certificate of Appreciation - Migrante: Migrant Rights Organization
2015 Spirit of Gold Award (team award for Men’s Action Network Calgary) - The United Way of Calgary and Area
2012 Certificate of Recognition - Salvadorian Association of Calgary
2008 National Award for Ngapagok Sudan School Peace Through Education Project - Canadian Association of Social Workers
2008 The Pulse of Social Work Advocacy Award - The University of Calgary Faculty of Social Work, The Alberta College of Social Workers
2008 Certificate of Appreciation - The Darfur Association of Canada
2007 Nomination: YMCA Peace Medal - YMCA
2007 Creation of Bridges of Hope Refugee Camp Simulation (team award) - The City of Calgary & Canadian Red Cross
2007 Certificate of Appreciation: Ngapagok School Peace Through Education Project - Calgary Sudanese Committee
2007 Certificate of Congratulations: Ngapagok School Peace Through Education Project - Legislative Assembly of Alberta
2005 Alberta Centennial Award - Government of Alberta
2004 Creation and Implementation East Office Diversity Audit (team award) -The City of Calgary Team Award
2003 Nomination: The Pulse of Social Work Advocacy Award - The University of Calgary Faculty of Social Work, The Alberta College of Social Workers & partners
2003 Nomination: The Pulse of Social Work Community Development Award - The University of Calgary Faculty of Social Work, The Alberta College of Social Workers & partners
2002 Nomination: John Hutton Memorial Award - Alberta College of Social Workers