Mature Students

Graduate Certificate Application Process

Dates and Deadlines

Deadlines are firm. You are unable to upload or edit application materials after the deadline.

Equity, Racial Justice, Diversity, Inclusion & Decolonization

We acknowledge the inequities experienced by visible minorities (racialized persons); Indigenous people; persons with disabilities, which may encompass physical, mobility, perceptual, illness related, mental health, developmental disabilities; people who self-identify as two spirit, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, transgender or queer; as well as people who have experienced other barriers to their education (e.g. socioeconomic, caregiving, religious, cultural). 

Check the Admission Requirements before applying Learn more

Accepting applications for Fall 2024:

  • Advanced Social Work Practice (Online)
  • Clinical SW Practice: Community-Informed Practice for Health and Well-being (Edmonton residencies)

Getting started

Begin Your Application

Create an eID to log in. If you already have an eID, you can begin your online application. 

Once you begin, remember to click 'Save & Continue' often to ensure your application is saved.

Access the UCalgary Online Application

Answer Program Questions

Pay particular attention to your responses. They will be used in the review process, and are evaluated for clarity, content and writing ability.

Take your time, you can't make changes once you submit.

Submit your application

Pay your application fee:

$125 for Canadian or Permanent residents

$145 for International Students

You will upload your required documents after you submit your application. How to Upload

Required Documents


Your resume is an important part of your application. Make sure you fully capture your work and/or volunteer experience. Use three sections to describe your previous experience:

  1. employment experience in or related to social services,
  2. volunteer experience related to social services,
  3. employment and volunteer experience not related to social services. 

Indicate the number of hours for all social service work and include a total number of hours.

Don’t forget to detail your educational history, awards, distinctions, publications, and presentations.

What is relevant social work and human service experience?

English Language Proficiency (ELP) Test Scores

We follow the Faculty of Graduate Studies policy for English Language Proficiency.

You need to submit ELP test scores. If you have completed a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a recognized institution that teaches in English you may be exempt. List of eligible countries

Find the mailing address below >>

For ELP waiver requests see below >>


You need to submit unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you've attended (except for the University of Calgary). If those institutions don't indicate the awarded degree on their transcripts, you will need degree certificates as well.

IMPORTANT: Transcript file(s), including English translations and/or degree certificates (if applicable), must be amalgamated into one PDF file per institution, and clearly outline the following: terms, institution grading scale, course weight (units/credits), and grade.

If your application is successful, final official transcripts will be requested with your offer of admission. These must be sent in a sealed envelope directly from your previous post-secondary institution(s). If you have official transcripts in your possession, they need to remain in the original sealed envelope. Do not submit official transcripts in advance of an offer of admission.

Find the mailing address below >>

Document translation

If your original documents are not in English, you must request a second set of documents to be given to a translator for a notarized word-for-word English translation. Submit the translated copy in addition to your official documents.

Find the mailing address below >>

CASW Assessment

If you completed an undergraduate degree in Social Work or equivalent in another country (outside Canada/USA), you must have your degree assessed by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) as equivalent to a Canadian BSW.

This assessment must be received by June 30. You can submit by email or mail.

Find the mailing address below >>

Learn more

Degree Conferral

Your degree must be awarded prior to the start of the program. We cannot accept a letter of completion as a replacement for degree award.

Your final transcript noting your degree must be received by June 30.

In certain circumstances, such as when you have a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a recognized institution that teaches in English, the graduate program may waive the English Language Proficiency requirement. Eligible institutions must be listed as providing English language instruction in the World Higher Education Database (WHED).

To waive the English Language Proficiency requirement, you need to submit your request in writing (Word or PDF) by May 1. In your statement provide the reasons why you should be exempt from taking an ELP test. Make the subject line "ELP Waiver Request" and include your name and UCID. You'll also need to provide a letter from your institution indicating the medium of instruction is English.

Mailing address

Faculty of Social Work - Graduate Admissions
MacKimmie Tower, Room 301
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4