Dates and Deadlines
Deadlines are firm. You will upload your required documents after you submit your application.
You are unable to upload or edit application materials after the deadline.
Oct. 1, 2021
For Fall 2022 admission
March 1, 2022
Application deadline - 11:59 pm MST
Deadline to submit your application and fee
March 8, 2022
Program Specific Document deadline - 11:59 pm MST
Deadline to submit your resume and essay
March 8, 2022
Reference deadline - 11:59 pm MST
Deadline for your referees to submit the online form
March 15, 2022
Consult your UCalgary Student Centre for all required transcripts.
We will invite your referees to complete an online reference form after you submit your application.
Make sure you enter their email address correctly or your referee will not receive the invite.
Learn more about this requirement below >>
If you already have an ApplyAlberta account, remember to update your profile.
Enter your UCalgary eID if you have one, do not create a new account.
Once you begin, remember to click 'Save & Continue' often to ensure your application is saved.
Submit your application
Pay your application fee:
$125 for Canadian education
$145 for International education
Did you know? You can only apply to one BSW location.
Your application has to contain information for two referees:
- one from a person who can speak to your academic performance and ability (e.g., professor, practicum instructor), and
- one from a professional/work reference who can speak to your suitability for undergraduate studies in social work (e.g. employment supervisors, practicum supervisors, professionals, elders, etc.) They must have directly supervised you.
We don't accept references from friends, family members, or colleagues.
Need to correct or change your referee?
You are unable to change your referees by editing your application after you submit.
You may request to change or update your reference information prior to the application deadline.
Your request must include your name, UCID, and detailed instructions for a change. If you wish to replace one of your referees, specify which referee you want replaced and provide the name, job title, organization, phone number, and professional email address for the new referee.
Expect 2-3 business days for these changes to take effect.
It is your responsibility to notify your former referee that their reference is no longer required.
Cannot submit an academic reference?
If you have been out of school for a long time (5+ years) or you are an international student and cannot contact previous instructors, you can submit two professional references. Make sure to provide an explanation in the Program Specific Questions.
Program Specific Documents
Your resume is an important part of your application. Make sure you fully capture your:
- previous education
- work and/or volunteer experience.
- Indicate the number of hours for all work and/or volunteer experience.
- Include a total number of hours.
- List practicum(a) or internships separate from your work and/or volunteer experience.
Your essay is a vital part of your application. Make sure you allow enough time to prepare a well written essay.
The essay is approximately 5 pages, double-spaced (not including title page and references).
In the essay:
- Describe your personal reasons for applying (2 pages). This part of the essay can be written in the first person.
- Connect your personal reasons to a social problem. Discuss and analyze the problem (3 pages) using APA (or other), including references.
Your essay is evaluated for clarity, content, and writing ability.