Laddering to an MSW using Graduate Certificates

How to use Graduate Certificates to apply to the MSW program

Apply for a Graduate Certificate

You need to complete two graduate certificates to apply to the MSW, one in Advanced Social Work and one in Clinical Social Work practice. You can complete them in any order.

Check with a student advisor

You have five years from starting the first certificate to apply to the MSW program. If you intend to follow this pathway, you should check with a student advisor early in your journey to explore options and timelines.

Apply for your second Certificate

After completing your first certificate, apply to do your second.

Apply to the MSW Program

Once you've completed both certificates you're eligible to apply to do a course-based MSW in Clinical Social Work Practice. If  you're accepted (it's competitive) you'll receive credit for the 24 units of coursework you've already completed.   

Laddering into an MSW

This short video explains a little more about graduate certificates, and how you can use them as a flexible pathway to apply to the Master of Social Work program.

Short animated video on how to use Graduate Certificates to apply to the Master of Social Work Program.