yes post it

"I'm a University transfer student or degree holder"

"I've taken at least two years of undergraduate education."

This entry route is for you if you've:

  1. completed a minimum of 57 units (two years) of university transferable non-social work courses,
  2. a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.

All coursework must be completed by the end of the Winter (end of April) prior to admission.

You'll also need to meet:

  • Admissibility to the University of Calgary
  • English Language Arts 30-1 (high school) or an acceptable equivalent
  • Proficiency in English language
  • SOWK 201 program requirement

SOWK 201 Program Requirement

SOWK 201 is a program requirement. Completion by the end of the fall term is strongly recommended as it is a pre-requisite for other courses.

You can take SOWK 201 any time before or during the application cycle, or after BSW admission. You must successfully complete SOWK 201 with a minimum 'C-' grade.

More about SOWK 201

Are my courses transferable to UCalgary?

You can check the transferability of courses taken at Alberta post-secondary institutions using the Alberta Transfer Guide.


What should I take my first two years?

These courses provide you with depth in your education and prepare you for the focused education you'll receive to become a professional social worker. They also allow you to get a feel for other disciplines, which may help you to better know if social work is right for you.

These suggestions are only provided for guidance as you plan your first and second year.

No admission preference is given to applicants who complete courses in these areas.

  • English/Effective Writing
  • Sociology
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Indigenous Awareness in the Canadian Context
  • Human Development Across the Lifespan
  • Social Welfare and Social Policy
  • History
  • Research Methods
  • Statistics
  • Ethics
  • Communications
  • Public Administration or Public Policy
  • Gender Studies
  • Anthropology
  • Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies

Advanced Credit

You may be able to receive credit for a maximum of six units of social work courses completed at another institution. You must submit your request when you apply by contacting our student advisors.

"I already have a degree."

If you already have a university degree you have a couple of options. 

University Transfer student

You'll apply for the Bachelor of Social Work program, through the University Transfer Route, (details outlined above.)


Another option you might be interested in is the Master of Social Work. If you have a non-social work degree, you apply to the MSW program as "foundation" student. This means you do an additional year of foundational social work study, before pursuing your Master's specialization.


Is a BSW or MSW the Best Fit for Me?

One degree, two flexible delivery options


Learn more


Learn more